[mythtv-users] Myth native ALSA support

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Mon Jun 30 00:45:13 EDT 2003

Trying to get this working ...

I spent a long time on the alsa boards today and found lots of people
with my problem, not many with a solution. I'm on the same motherboard
as you (Asus A7n266-VM) using RH9. I installed the cvs version of alsa,
but didn't get the optical output working, just the regular analog
mini-jack. I'll outline my approach below, and I'd appreciate it you
would scan through it and tell me where we diverged. Anyone else,
please chime in too.

Download current cvs snapshot (6/29/03)
unpack
move into alsa-driver
./cvscompile --with-cards=intel8x0 --with-sequencer=yes

<comment> since the RH9 workqueue.h workaround requires you to act
between ./compile  and "make" I do a "make clean" which lets me install
with ./configure rather than ./cvscompile (as if I have a release
rather than a cvs version).</comment>

make clean
./configure --with-cards=intel8x0 --with-sequencer=yes
touch BUILDDIR/include/linux/workqueue.h
make
make install

<comment> Confusion here. You used to have to do ./snddevices here, but
the alsa install docs now specifically tell you not to after 0.9.3
right here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/
template.php3?company=Nvidia&card=nForce&chip=NM2360&module=intel8x0
  Why do they distribute ./snddevices then? Anyway, if I proceed with
the install without running ./snddevices when it is all over I don't
get sound, I don't have /dev/dsp devices and alsamixer won't launch. So
the second time through I ran ./snddevices and that at least got analog
sound working and alsamixer would launch.</comment>

move into alsa-lib
./cvscompile
make install
move into alsa-utils
./cvscompile
make install
chmod 777 /dev/dsp*
update /etc/modules.conf //see below
cd /etc/rc.d/init.d
/sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound
reboot
modules seem to load correctly
fiddle with alsamixer in the usual way until analog sound works using
/dev/dsp

At this point you say "manually go into the database and use
/dev/sound/adsp"
I didn't try this because I don't have that device. In fact there isn't
even a dev/sound/ directory created. Did you have to create this device
yourself somehow?

Below is the sound section of my modules.conf

# ALSA portion
         alias char-major-116 snd
         alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
         # module options should go here