[mythtv-users] Getting no video in xawtv with correctly installed BTTV....any ideas? * lots of info provided*

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Jun 29 21:05:14 EDT 2003

This report looks to me more like a hardware problem than an xawtv problem.
It just happens to turn up with xawtv because that's the video app you are
using in your tests.

The important part is here (I think):

         bttv0: irq: SCERR risc_count=1f512008

This says that the bttv driver is reporting an error that comes from the
irq handler. SCERR just means System Call ERRor, not deeply informative.
But I did find one report on the v4l list that associated this behavior
with IRQ sharing (in particular, sharing with another very active device,
the sound card). So look into that possibility. IRQ sharing itself is legal
in Linux, but it can still be a bad idea if two very active devices try to
use the same interrupt.

1. "more /proc/interrupts" will show you what devices have actively been
using IRQs. Run it after a failed attempt to use xawtv. See what else is on
IRQ 11.

2. If it looks like there is a conflict, the solution depends on your
hardware and BIOS. You may need to move cards from slot to slot to change
the IRQ arrangement, or your BIOS might let you do it. Try to get the bttv
card on an irq not used by anything else.

At 09:39 PM 6/29/2003 -0400, Mike Miller wrote:
>I know I said I was quitting but I couldn't quite give up yet.  Ive done
>some more poking around,
[...]