[mythtv-users] RE: When Mythtv tries to record programed shows, my computers locks up.

RJV miracle at procyon.com
Sun Jun 29 16:09:56 EDT 2003

> When MythTv starts recording a schedule program, my
> computer locks up about one or two minute later. The
> terminal in which the backend is running produces this
> message:

I had similar problems with MythTV that were resolved when I upgraded my
memory.  AMD's seem to be picky with regard to this, and MythTV in
particular seems to bring out buggy hardware (at least on my end) even
when it is by all other accounts stable.

I suggest going to memtest86.com and downloading the iso image.  Boot your
machine using that and let it run through your memory for several hours.
You might find a few bad sectors which you can remove if you've got the
badram option compiled into your kernel.

I've even had a memory stick that didn't work very well, even though
memtest gave it a clean bill of health.  I put some faster RAM in the box
and the problems have since dissapeared.

Hope that helps.

-- RJV --					..ooOO miracle at procyon.com

-- Institution of Postgraduate Education - Graduation 2001
-- Institution of Undergraduate Education - Alumnus 1997

The opinions expressed in any email originating from this account are the
sole opinions of the author.  They do not reflect the opinions or policies
of any institution or individuals other than myself.