[mythtv-users] MythTV & ASUS Pundit -- Drivers?

Jason Cooper jcooper at nevernight.net
Sun Jun 29 15:41:40 EDT 2003

Kevin Gibbons (kevin at kgibbons.com) wrote:
> Yes, the module does show up when I do "lsmod" --- it shows bcm4400, but the
> "Used by" is at 0 and it's got no information in the far right column.
>
> And with regard to the hub, yes it does have a link light on both the NIC
> itself and the hub, so there's definitley a solid connection.
>
> And lastly.. when I run "dmesg | less" I do get output, but nothing I can
> see related to eth0.  So I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for.
>
> The pundit is getting closer and closer to becoming a Windows machine  LOL
> :)
>
> Any other ideas???

<snip>
> > Kevin Gibbons wrote:
> >
> > >Well, I've tried both lines in my /etc/modules.conf -- so I just switched
> it
> > >back to "alias eth0 bcm4400" and did a reboot.  But once again, upon boot
> > >see that GRUB is failing when trying to initialize eth0.
> > >
> > >Then while I'm in KDE, if I run the redhat-config-network GUI interface,
> it
> > >shows eth0 as "inactive"  And when I attempt to activate it, I'm getting:
> > >
> > >Determining IP information for eth0.... failed; no link present.  Check
> > >cable?
> > >
> > >Now I know it's not the patch cable, as I've used multiple cables and
> also
> > >verified that these cables DO work.  I have to still be missing some step
> > >along the way.
> > >

> > Does the module show up if you execute 'lsmod' in a console?  Does the
> > hub/switch that you are plugging into show link when you are powered?
> >  Try executing 'dmesg | less' and see if you can find any relevant errors.

Sorry, I just signed up for this list, so I may have missed the
beginning of the conversation, all I know is what I quoted above.

With that in mind, try running 'ifconfig' as root.  With RedHat and its
derivatives, use 'su -' to go root (otherwise sbin isn't in the path,
and you can't run ifconfig).  Does it show eth0?  My guess is no.

One of four things is occurring:
	1.) Your DHCP server (in your router, or at your ISP) is down.
	2.) You're not supposed to use DHCP but redhat is configured to do
		so.
	3.) You're trying to use a NIC card (I'm not familiar with the
		family that bcm4400 services) as eth0 where it may be eth1 due
		to a motherboard NIC being assigned eth0.
	4.) You're using the wrong module, although from the conversation it
		sounds like that is not the case.

Try moving the cable from the card (if that's where it is) to the
motherboard NIC, if it has one.  Reinitialize.  (Probably won't work,
but never hurts to check).

If you're supposed to receive your IP from your ISP, check to see if
they require a hostname, eg 'dhcpcd -h somehostname eth0'.  The hostname
will _not_ be equal to your machine's hostname.

I'd write more, but I'll wait for a response to see if I'm even on the
right track.

Cooper.