[mythtv-users] FYI: bug in SuSe 8.2 (XFree86 4.3) with SiS video and Athlon

mOjO mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Sat Jun 28 02:50:19 EDT 2003

whoa.. i just read this... this would explain why i ditched SuSe 8.2 due
to it being slow and choppy with MythTV... he doesnt say it pertains
only to SiS but I would have to assume so as thats all this site is about...

Q: I have an Athlon CPU. Xv is terribly slow. What's wrong?
A:  As of 06/05/2003, this is a confirmed bug in the SuSE 8.2 XFree 4.3
packages and probably in XFree 4.3 packages of some other distributions,
too. This is no SiS driver bug, and there is no workaround available.
Hopefully, SuSE and other affected distributions update their packages
some time soon.

--snipped from a FAQ at this SiS driver info site:
http://www.winischhofer.net/linuxsis630.shtml#chluma

btw.. i have an Athlon XP 1700 in a Shuttle SS40G with the SiS 740
Chipset and I first tried SuSe 8.2 and indeed it ran MythTV like a dog.

mOjO