[mythtv-users] Remotes, good info

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Fri Jun 27 04:40:27 EDT 2003

Well the conversations have come up from time to time about what the
best remote to use is.

Many of us feel that using a learning remote to learn the codes of a
wireless keyboard, and just interface with myth through your wireless
keyboard's receiver is the best solution.  Effectively bypassing the
need for lirc.

This got me thinking, in all my shopping (retail anyway) I rarely come
across a true learning remote... other than the rather expensive marantz
remotes I couldn't name one.

So I did some web research and found a wonderful site dedicated to
remotes and expecailly the learning kind... many of them are very nice.
The site also has good information about using your handheld as a remote
(finally a use for that old palm you have laying around).

I figured I'd share it with you, and hopefully drive some conversation,
and perhaps get some feed back on some of the remotes featured as they
relate to myth.

So, take a look at http://www.remotecentral.com and give feed back, I
know I was surprised at the selection that I had never seen in action
before.

Oh and as a side note, marantz's most recent remote is a color
touchscreen learning remote that can be connected to your computer to
create custom graphical menus and buttons, photo screen savers ect... it
even comes with a charging cradle so you never have to change the
batterys... of course if your like me, it will never make it to the
cradle till the battery dies ;-).  Oh yeah and it will also send
commands via RF to one or more "Remote Extenders" which will forward
your ir commands... so put that myth box in a closet and have fun!

Look forward to your feed back... and go ahead and flame me for being a
bit out of topic... but I hope most of you find the info interesting or
even helpful.

Joe