[mythtv-users] PVR-250 and Suse

mOjO mojospam at thegeekclub.net
Thu Jun 26 22:21:37 EDT 2003

Will Dormann wrote:
> At 03:49 PM 6/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>Well, not being satisfied with the RedHat distro's performance, I'm getting
>>ready to build MythTV on Suse with the Hauppauge PVR-250 card.
>>
>>I just thought I'd ask if anyone has built the ivtv driver for it yet, and if
>>so, is there anything I should look out for?
>

> Why not give Gentoo a shot?   It works great, and is high performance.
>

> -WD

i switched to Gentoo from Suse 8.2 because i found SuSe a bit bloated
and filled with apps i didnt need. (also because i was curious about
Gentoo) but it does indeed perform much better but i must warn you it
will take at least 10x as long to setup and be much more "hands-on". I
look back now at that SuSe install and think maybe i didnt have proper
xv support working or my choppiness might be due to some other issue
since i know a lot more about mythtv now, so i may have been a bit harsh
on SuSe but i must say gentoo is fast...

also there is a known compile issue with SuSe 8.2 and a fix for it...
you must remove every instance of "-fPIC" from the Makefile in the
libavcodec directory of the source tree. Just search this mailing lists
archives for "SuSe 8.2" and youll find plenty to read up on.

My next step will be too ditch KDE (its a memory hog) and find a more
lightweight windows manager... Gnome was responsive but myth doesnt like
gnome much... at least you cant get rid of the gnome menu things at the
top of the screen. so unless you wanna run myth in a window then you
should forget about Gnome. I'm not sure what other Window manager to
use... if anyone has any suggestions im all ears... i should note that I
would prefer it if the machine could boot up and auto-login and auto-run
mythtv... security is not a concern on this machine and my network is
well firewalled.

mOjO