[mythtv-users] Networked frontend and Debian (mini-howto)

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Tue Jun 24 04:17:01 EDT 2003

Just want to mention that I finally got around to adding a second
frontend to my existing setup, and it worked flawlessly with almost no
effort at all with the Debian packages.  For anyone else trying it,
here's what I did; I already had 0.9.1 up and running on the master
backend.

On the backend:
1) rerun mythtv-setup and make sure it's configured with the proper IP
   address (ie not 127.0.0.1)
2) edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf and remove the "skip-networking" line;
   restart mysqld

On the new box:
3) apt-get install mythtv-frontend
4) edit /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt: set the hostname to the backend and
   copy the password from the same file on the backend
5) run mythfrontend on the new box, watch Futurama.. :)

Thanks Isaac, Matt, and everyone else that makes this so easy and awesome..

-jim