[mythtv-users] Video out & a stereo

Poul Petersen petersp at MATH.ORST.EDU
Mon Jun 23 19:07:45 EDT 2003

> I'm having issues hooking up my MythTV box to my entertainment system. First off I usually run all audio video equipment through my stereo then have a single line going to my TV. This did not work with the computers SVideo out connection, the screen would scroll. So I then just hooked the computer up directly to the TV using the composite out and just ran the sound through the stereo. This works for the most part. The only problem I still have is that it is causing some sort of feedback to the stereo, and other video sources I try to use will have screen issues if the computer is hooked up to the TV. If I unplug the video cable from the computer all works well.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? Are there any filters or something that I could get to take care of this issue?

	I wonder if this could be some sort of differential grounding problem.
If the stereo, TV and mythbox are not plugged into the same house circuit, you might
try that (try using the same outlet). If you have bad circuit grounding, you can
actually get current flowing through your ground wires - I've actually seen
a situation where a monitor was fried because the ground on the outlet it was plugged into
had a potential difference from the computer outlet ground.

-poul