[mythtv-users] freshrpms.net rpms or touch include/linux/workqueue.h (was: Why is it so hard to make Alsa & RH9 work???)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Jun 22 18:51:41 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:22:49AM -0400, mythtv at keatlim.com wrote:
> I have spent countless hours trying to get this to work. [...]
> Only thing I've found so far is someone posting about touching
> include/linux/workqueue.h which doesn't work because I'm using Alsa
> 0.9.4 and it already has that file there (which removes itself
> during the ./configure --...  phase)

Touch it _after_ the configure and all will be fine.

> Anyone get this working yet?

Yes, just get the ALSA rpms from freshrpms.net.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:34:23AM -0400, mythtv at keatlim.com wrote:
> Whoops that was the wrong error I posted... when I do a modprobe
> snd-via82xx I get these errors
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: unresolved symbol
> schedule_work
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod snd-via82xx
> failed

Known bug with Red Hat kernels since RH9. Workarround is to touch
include/linux/workqueue.h as above.

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 10:43:02AM -0400, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Sounds like when you recompiled your kernel you didn't include soundcore
> support as a module.  Check your kernel config.

No, it's a Red Hat kernel vs ALSA bug. Recent ALSA versions tried to
check for Red Hat kernel, but the check has a bug itself ... :(
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de