[mythtv-users] XBox as a frontend?

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Fri Jun 20 11:32:20 EDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Dennis Cartier wrote:

> I would like to hear from anyone attempting to use the XBox as a
> front-end. I am wondering how hard it is to get the remote control working
> under Lirc and whether or not the TV-out driver supports over scan properly.
> As well knowing that it can play 720 x 480 DVD quality Mpeg2 without
> stuttering would also be nice.

I am currently in process of doing the xbox thing.  Amazingly the process
has gone pretty smooth so far.  Aligning the matrix chip was a pain in the
rear, but I got it going, using the Linux Bios.

I installed the Ed's Debian, no problems at all.  The pre-reqs gave me
some grief with the qt3-mysql stuff.

I've not modified any X configs, or sound yet, and am playing back 480x480
mpeg4 files just fine.  All other settings on the backend are default (as
of 0.9 release.

I'm using the xbox remote control for testing, which is a pain because
there is no ESC button mapped.  This apparently runs via usb-xboxir
module, to which there is a config tool that I haven't compiled yet.  I
suspect that LIRC won't actually be required, but modification of the
usb-xboxir module, or futzing with the config tool might allow one to get
things to work.

In order to get the remote to respond, I did have to 'rmmod xpad' for some
reason.

I cannot recall if the previous posters were messing with that module, or
if they were somehow using LIRC to interact with the USB receiver.
Leaving for the weekend, but hopefully a search will turn up some fun
stuff to play with when I return.

Good luck,

~cj
#mythtv.conaz