[mythtv-users] Re: Autoplay of inserted CDs and DVDs

Lonny Selinger lonny at bangtherockstogether.net
Thu Jun 19 15:55:28 EDT 2003

>> I'm no Linux expert so can somebody explain why this change (from
>> scd0
>>-> hdd) happens?
>> Isn't scd0 supposed to be for SCSI drives? Both drives I used were
>> IDE
>> so why would it use scd0 at all and why would it change when
>> changing
>> drives?
>
> That would happen if you were using scsi emulation, which Linux uses
> for
> dvd or cd-r(w) drives, and then switched to a drive that didn't do
> scsi
> emulation.

You nailed it .... I'm guessing the other drive *may* be possibly a
burner. Linux uses SCSI emulation to *talk* to IDE burners. If you
have something that can scan for devices on a SCSI bus (ie: cdrecord
--scanbus) it should return the device/LUN ID of your IDE drive if its
a burner.

I haven't really run into any case other then that where SCSI
emulation was used on an IDE drive.

--
Lonny