[mythtv-users] Why do I need an IR blaster?

Desmond Rivet desmond_rivet at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 16:03:16 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I have a Scientific Atlanta 2200 Explorer box for my digital cable. I would
like to get a remote working for both MythTV and this box.

The (brief) reserach I have indicates that I will need to build an IR
blaster to do this. This involves setting up a receiver which will then
re-trasmit the signal to the cable box. Yes?

Why do I need to do this? If the cable box is close to the mythtv box, then
would i just need a reciever (no need to re-trasmit). I mean, the IR signal
from the remote can go to two places, right?

Thanks in advance!

Desmond