[mythtv-users] transcoding using mencoder

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Tue Jun 17 04:22:47 EDT 2003

Jason Radford wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:27:54 -0400
>Craig Longman <craigl at begeek.com> wrote:
>

>>Jason Radford wrote:
>>

>>>After fixing that and running the script it does re-encode them, but
>>>the video/audio is out of sync, which I tested on 3 different *.nuv
>>>recordings (mpeg4 ftp'ed from my myth box).
>>>

>>how far out of sync?  about 1/3-1/2 a second, or further?
>>

>Yes, I'd say 1/2 a second or less, but you can tell the video is ahead
>of the audio.
>
>ideas?

i think so.  the mpeg-2 files i've been encoding, and other people have
reported similar problems with mpeg-4 i think, seem to put the audio
10-12 frames after the relevant video frame (as in codec frame).  this
means that if you don't pay attention to the timestamp, you will get
audio 10-12 frames too soon, 1/3-1/2 a second.

i had thought that mythmkmovie handled this by fudging in some black
frames when processing cutlists, but maybe there's a problem with that.
 i've fixed up ReencodeFile() to resync the audio and video more
closely, as well as handle some other audio problems when actual
conversion is taking place, but need to clean it up a bit and deal with
non-conversion cases before submitting it.

this might be same problem here, it sounds suspicious.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();