[mythtv-users] Very low volume when recording -- Can I fix this?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon Jun 16 11:59:32 EDT 2003

John Klimek wrote:
>>As Isaac mentioned, it is "Capture" that controls the volume
>>level for recording from the input marked for CAPTUR. The
>>Line-in level should only affect the patched through analog
>>sound when Line-in is unmuted.
>

> Ok, forgive my vague description that follows...
>
> In "alsamixergui", the Line-In has two red circles above it (I believe that
> means its selected for recording).  I also have it turned up.
>
> There is a bar that says Capture, but it does not have any red circles above
> it.  The volume is at the lowest (0?), but I can't seem to get it to move
> any higher (it seems locked, but the picture of the lock is unlocked).
>
> Does any of this make any sense?  Is this the correct setup?

Makes perfect sense. I've never used "alsamixergui" before
so it was fun trying it. However, if you can't fix it with that
tool then try the tried and true text version.

When I startup alsamixergui I see "Card: Ensoniq AudioPCI"
in the upper left corner. Several input items have white dots
over them but "Line" has red dots. Line has white speaker
icons with no vibrations which I assume means 'muted'. There
is a "Capture" item that is unmuted, no dots, unlocked, and
I have the volume a little over half way up (actually, 60%).

If I click on the sliders to drag with the mouse, they
immediately drop to 0 and stay there. However, if I click on
the would "Capture" and the surrounding box turns dark gray,
I can use the up arrow on the keyboard to raise the volume.

If this fails, try "alsamixer" from the command line. You should
see a multi-color curses text interface. Right and left arrows
select which item to manipulate. Spacebar sets "CAPTUR", "M"
toggles mute and up and down arrows change volume.

Again I have "Card: Ensoniq AudioPCI" in the upper left corner.
"Master" is unmuted with volume at 52% and "PCM" is unmuted at
48%. YMMV. "Line" is marked "CAPTUR" in red at the top, "MM"
indicates that it is muted and the volume is 0. About a dozen
right arrows over I see "Capture". This also has "CAPTUR" in
red across the top, it is not muted, and the volume is 60%.

To verify that you are actually affecting the record level, try
the test in:

One oddity about this card is that some sound does leak through
even when the Capture level is 0. This would be consistent with
your original posting.

--  bjm