[mythtv-users] newbie audio problems

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Sun Jun 15 23:42:25 EDT 2003

Stephen Mathezer wrote:

>I'm relatively new to mythtv, I have things sort of working but am
>having trouble with audio quality.
>
>I'm running 0.9.1 on Debian with a 2.4.20 kernel and alsa 0.9.4. I have
>a Gigabyte 7VAXP which has VIA 8235 sound built in.  My capture card is
>a WinTV GO.
>
>With some screwing around I have managed to get btaudio to work with
>analog output on /dev/dsp2. I am able to watch live tv and record. Sound
>quality is however pretty poor no matter what I try.  There is a fair
>bit of hissing and crackling all the time.
>
>If I run xawtv and do the "sox -r 480000 -c 1 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t
>ossdsp /dev/dsp" thing then sound quality is vastly better. My question
>is, how do I set the sample rate that high in MythTV for both live
>watching and recording? I tried actually setting the samplerate to
>480000 in the codecparams table manually but that caused backend
>crashes.  If I run sox all the time, then I am getting sound output all
>the time which also isn't good.

do you mean 48 000 here?  as opposed to 480 000 like  you wrote.

>I've searched through the mailing list which did help me get btaudio
>going, but I couldn't find any solutions to the poor quality sound.
>
>Can anyone help me out with this?

i've heard that with btaudio you need to set 32K as the sample rate.  i
understood that this was all btaudio could handle, but it sounds like
you get it to work with higher raters, so maybe its something other than
btaudio that prevents >32K.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();