[mythtv-users] Memory Consumption

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sun Jun 15 23:01:16 EDT 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 09:49 pm, Ken Thompson wrote:
> Ok, it seems as though I have been able to isolate some memory problems.
> Somewhere in the documentation, mythtv or ivtv said it needs atleast 256
> MB of RAM.  This is a BARE minimum I found out the hard way.  Just
> running mandrake 9.1 with KDE + the mythfilldatabase I am burning a
> whopping 218MB of ram + 14-35% processor time.  With my onboard video
> enabled (64 MB of shared memory. yuck) I get random pauses during live
> TV playback.  Its obvious 512 or > is required to run this program
> correctly.  Btw, I've got a duron 800 (utter crap, I know) with 256 MB
> ram/ Hauppauge 250
>
> This may be old news to lots of you, but I thought it was worth sharing.

That's funny, I've been running with 256 MB of ram for quite a long time.  No
problems.  Mythfilldatabase only uses 20MB or so at most, mythfrontend will
use about 40 during playback due to the video buffers, and mythbackend uses a
similar amount during software encoding (and much less during hardware
encoding like you are).

Isaac