[mythtv-users] How small can I get my captures?

John Klimek jmk396 at psu.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:28:36 EDT 2003

I'm running off of very limited space and I was wondering how small I could
get my captures.  Typically VCD's (compressed in MPEG1 or MPEG2) are only
700-800mb and have over an hours worth of audio/video.

MythTV (using RTjpeg [I think thats what its called]) creates HUGE files.  A
30 minute show took up nearly 1.5 GB of space.  Thats insane.

So, two questions really:

1)  Does MythTV have any other codecs to compress the size?  What else can I
do to shrink the file sizes?

2)  I tried using a Samba-mounted drive to save a capture.  The samba drive
had TONS of room but after about 30 minutes my mythbackend server crashed
out saying something about exceeding the maximum file size.

Jeremy Oddo (INCREDIBLY helpful guy) said that Samba had a limit to file
transfers.

Is there any other way to store these files over a network drive?  or can I
compress my files more?

Thanks.