[mythtv-users] Simple signal-powered, middle-range infra-red transmitter

Ken Thompson kent at kmtdesigns.com
Fri Jun 13 11:32:43 EDT 2003

This is my first message to you all, hopefully it will be useful to some of
you.  I just completed the overall installation... one element remains.  My
cable company gave me a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100.  This is rumored to
work with lircd using the scripts they provide.

My assumption is that in order for me to transcend the physical 129 channel
limit of my Tuner card (the 250 by hauppauge) I must use a composite (RCA
connector) video & audio and let the Myth software tell my cable box when to
switch its channels.  I'll be sure to post more on my progress of actually
getting that to work.

Its clear that I need to operate on a frequency other then 38000, 57600 to be
exact, which will require a hardware interface.  The schematic, you all
reference daily to us newbs, appears to be an excellent low cost solution to
my perdictament.

I plan on making 2 to 3 of them in a nifty compact enclosure.  At the moment
it is unclear as to the overall cost of materials.  However, given the limited
amount of parts needed i'm sure it falls well under the $20 mark.

If you are interested in purchasing one of these prebuilt at *cost* please
email me. (ken at kmtdesigns.com)