[mythtv-users] Question to all those NFS users out there...

Christopher Maahs cmaahs at eatenbygrue.com
Fri Jun 13 10:23:57 EDT 2003

It has become apparent to me that NFS is going to be an option that I'll
need to pursue, so that multiple front-end machines can access MythVideo,
MythGallery, and MythMusic data.  I'm curious what kind of bandwidth
issues people are seeing?

I'm envisioning a backend machine with two tuner cards, and then two
frontend systems (at the TVs in the house) and then of course no reason
not to install the frontend on one of my workstations as well.  I'm just
guessing here, as I don't have snmp capable switches at home, but it seems
to me that the poor NFS system's 100Mbps could potentially be a problem.
Are people running multiple NICs in their NFS systems to reduce this as a
potential bottleneck?  Certainly 100Mbps for two streams being saved by
the backend, and 100Mbps for potentially three mythfrontend video streams
should negate any possible bandwidth issues.

~cj
#mythtv.conaz