[mythtv-users] Joystick help! (off-topic)

Joseph Caputo caputo at qedinfo.com
Fri Jun 13 11:21:09 EDT 2003

I realize this is off-topic, but I was hoping someone here could shed a
little light... please respond off-list.

After playing with & contributing to Myth for several months, I finally
decided to give MythGame and XMame a try.  I've got everything set up, and
have been having some nostalgic fun playing Pac-Man on my big-screen TV :-)
So, now I've pulled a couple of old joysticks out of my basement, and would
like to get them working, but no success.  The closest I've come is to get
the buttons working, but I get no response to joystick axis movement (this
with the 'jstest' program).  I think my difficulties are related to using
ALSA, as the kernel input/joystick drivers reportedly work well out of the
box or with OSS.  Does anybody have an analog joystick working with ALSA
that can give me some pointers, specifically re: /etc/modules.conf ?

Relevant setup information:

Stock 2.4.20 kernel with:
	- Input Core, USB OHCI, USB HID compiled in
	- joystick/gameport support as modules (gameport, joydev, analog, ns558,
cs461x)

ALSA 0.9.3 built with joystick support
	- onboard sound/gameport (CMI8738) using snd-cmipci driver
	- Hercules Fortissimo III w/gameport using snd-cs46xx driver

I've combed the ALSA mailing list archives, and everything says I should be
able to get my snd-cs46xx driver to work with the Hercules gameport, but no
luck.

Any help greatly appreciated!

TIA,

JAC