[mythtv-users] Mandrake 9.1 -- Serial port problems

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 12 21:39:02 EDT 2003

At 11:23 PM 6/12/2003 -0400, John Klimek wrote:
[...]
>I don't understand, I feel so stupid.

Oh, I know that feeling. I bet we *all* know that feeling.

>It's working now.  In fact, EVERYTHING is working now.
>
>I'm using Mandrake 9.1 on my backend server (Athlon 750 MHz, 256mb RAM, 20
>GB HD, Win-TV Go Card).
>
>Would it be worth it for me to remove Mandrake and install Gentoo from
>scratch (eg. stage 1)?

Well ... unless you personally feel a lot more comfortable with Gentoo than
with Mandrake, I'd say no. But I always think that changing distros is the
*last* solution people should turn to, not the *first*. You are (anyone is)
better off picking a distro from among the majors, learning its oddities
(they all have oddities) and how to cope with them, and developing the
detailed skill set needed to make that distro work. Just my opinion, though.