[mythtv-users] help with xawtv

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Jun 12 14:48:50 EDT 2003

At 01:20 PM 6/12/2003 -0700, Bruce Markey wrote:
[...]
>>My own guess in this instance is that he has specified different
>>frequency settings in mythbackend and xawtv. This is the common second
>>cause of this symptom, and it probably should be mentioned in the FAQ reply.
>
>My experience is that if I choose the wrong frequency table
>I get nothing but snow or a blue screen. The exception, I guess,
>would be if you had the correct tuner type and selected the
>bogus Canada Cable in xawtv (no longer in myth ;-).

My experience differs from your here. My cable provider recently changed
over from us-cable-hrc to us-cable. One of my capture hosts was ofline for
repairs, and when I started it up again, I forgot to change to the new set.
I got, at least on *some* channels, a B&W picture -- bad but recognizable
-- with lousy sound.  Other channels did bluescreen.

I recall looking at the actual frequency tables some time ago, and these
two are fairly close for some parts of their ranges, probably close enough
to give bad reception rather than none.

[...]
>If you (or anyone else =) could put together a troubleshooting
>item that actually walks through fixing an off by one channel
>problem, that would be great! This would then be the best place
>to mention the possibility that the wrong frequency table has
>been selected.

I may give this a try. (I don't know where to submit FAQ-page changes,
which is why I didn't consider updating the Myth FAQ, and I'd simply
forgotten that the HowTo ... for which I do know how to propose updates
...also had something on this.) It probably won't be quite what you are
suggesting, but perhaps close enough to help the many people who seem to
run into this problem.