[mythtv-users] MythTV: Install & Configure Problem: Running ./setup crashes, cant install?

Johnny Stork stork at openenterprise.ca
Thu Jun 12 02:52:23 EDT 2003

Well I have been counting the days until I can try and install MythTV. Unfortunately the very newbie-unfriendly docs, and install instructions provided by some users has not made things very easy. First, before this is taken the wrong way, once I manage to get it working I will make it my own personal goal to write some very easy to follow, newbie-friendly docs for MythTV. I am new to MythTV, but have been a Linux user and web developer for 10 years since Yggdrasil.

And now on to my problem.

Redhat 9, clean install
Ran up2date and updated everything
Kernel 2.4.20-18.9
qt-3.1 installed
AMD 550 (yes its a little underpowered but this is a test machine for now)
256 mb ram
Happauge PCI WinTV
Riva TNT2 32mb
Nvidia 1.0-4349 drivers

important variables were set

QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.1
PATH=/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/lib/qt-3.1:/root/bin:/usr/lib/qt-3.1

xawtv runs fine and TV works great.

I installed apt-get and also xmltv

Was able to watch with freevo although mplayer and tvtime show jerky video, xawtv looks fine though.

I downloaded the latest CVS release of MythTV and ran

./configure
make
make install

Then went into setup directory and ran

[root at localhost setup]# ./setup
Would you like to clear all capture card
settings before starting configuration? [no]  yes
Would you like to clear all program/channel
settings before starting configuration? [no]  yes
Illegal instruction

I have been getting that "Illegal instruction" with the released version of MythTV as well as when I first tried the rpm version.

Please, any suggestions would really be appreciated. I have been checking the archives but nothing seems to point to a solution.

Thanks

<hr>

Johnny Stork, B.A.
Calgary, AB