[mythtv-users] RE: mythfrontend setup for around $300 ??

Justin Waugh jwaugh at comcast.net
Wed Jun 11 18:00:10 EDT 2003

I say if you just want the frontend, just get an Xbox. It is fantastically cheap and works extremely well... Particularly with the remote! It has great tv-out and sound. Here's the cost break down:

Cost (best case):

Xbox on Ebay - $120

DVD Remote - $30

007 hack to mod it - $0

Total: $150

You can buy 2 for the $300 you want to spend.

Cost (worst case):

Refurbished Xbox - $150

DVD Remote - $30

Modchip - $40-50

Total: $220-230

Not to mention you get to play games too if you want, as well as tons of emulators, or you can use the fantastic Xbox Media Player to play back movies and songs.

With the 007 hack there is not even any need for a modchip. Simply solder 2 small points on the motherboard to make the bios flashable and you can use the 007 hack to flash the bios. If that scares you, you can spend the extra $40 or so for a modchip.

It's seriously the best value for a mythfrontend there is.