[mythtv-users] PVR 250 problems

Steve Prater steve.prater at wosc.edu
Mon Jun 9 10:14:19 EDT 2003

MythTV rules but I am having some issues. From reading the mailing lists it
looks like quite a few of you are using the PVR250 so maybe you can help me out.

Here's what I have:

Slackware 9.0 box.
At a week ago (June 3) I had the latest CVS of the ivtv driver, alsa driver,
mythtv.
AMD 1800XP
Creative labs ensoniqe audio PCI sound card.
NVidia GForce 2 card with a tv out.
And of course the WinTV PVR 250.

In general it seems to do well except for
the random lock ups.I even have the PVR's remote working! but I'm thinking its
problems are driver related. Myth seems to run until I go the "Watch TV". This
seems to lock up on me at least 2 times a day. I've experimented with different
bit-rates (slower=jumpy/jerky audio and video). Here are my questions:

1. Is everyone experiencing frequent lock-ups with the PVR250 and if not what
did
you do to stabilize this?
2. In the past couple of days I've noticed the sound getting choppy/jerky and I
'm getting a error something like "Soundcard not reporting size correctly...
reverting to old method". Not sure If I've had this error from the beginning but
I don't think so. Could this be related?
3. When using my PVR card on a windows box I noticed that It had only 3 or 4
selectable bit-rates Anyone remember what those are and could this be related to
the smaller bitrate=choppy/jerky problem?

Any help with this would be very appreciated!

--Steve Prater