[mythtv-users] New to MythTV, want to build it out....

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Jun 8 15:46:16 EDT 2003

At 03:28 PM 6/8/2003 -0500, Cosimo Leipold wrote:
>         I would love to build myself a MythTV box. The problem is I can't
>seem to find any list of working configurations and setups. I look at one
>post that suggests the Hauppauge PVR 250, the next post says it won't
>work, etc.. Same deal for video out solutions... "Some old nvidia cards
>are supported" is a pretty sub par bit of documentation...

If you look at the list archives for the past few days, you will see some
references to a database of configurations that someone maintains ... not
specific to MythTV, but oriented toward video-capture-and-playback systems.

Because I do not think that database is quite complete for your purposes,
here is the configuration I am running:

Hardware:

         Celeron 1.7 GHz on Gigabit Titan P4 mobo
                 (onboard sound disabled in BIOS)
         256 MB PC133 RAM
         system on old 8 GB hard disk as hda
         vidcap to 180 GB WD hard disk as hdc
         nVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE AGP Video Card with TV-out
         AverTV "Desktop TV PVR" card (the newer one, that does NOT have
the SONY daughterboard - this is a slipstreamed change so I don't know how
better to identify it)
         Soundblaster16 PCI sound card
         Linksys NIC (tulip chip)
         some old keyboard, mouse, and speakers
         black desktop case with 300W, P4-ready P/S
         display to a small (13") and old TV-style monitor

Software:
         Debian-Sid
         prepackaged Myth .deb packages
         alsa sound modules
         nVidia's proprietary X driver
         kernel 2.4.19, compiled locallt from Debian kernel-source package

MythTV set at defaults except:
         capturing NTSC, us-cable frequency set
         using MPEG4 encoding
         varying capture resolution (see below)

Problems with this configuration:

1. Watch out for the AverTV card. The one I described works fine, but older
ones (with the daughterboard) failed (or caused the bttv driver to fail)
about once every 2 days.

2. This system cannot quite keep up with "live" TV at the default 480x480
resolution. At  320x240 it works very nicely and seems to work fine.

When run as a Myth host, I have only used these systems locally, that is,
watching "live" or pre-recorded TV on the same system that does or did the
capture. Using different capture software (vcr/avifile), I've captured DivX
video that I've been able to access remotely (via Samba), edit on a Win2K
host using VirtualDub, and watch on the same Win2K host.

I have a second system that matches this one except for the hard disks
(which are a bit smaller) and the video card, a nVidia GeForce2 GTS 64 MB
DDR 4x AGP Video w/TV-out. This one also works well, though I like the
video card a tiny bit less (not for Myth reasons but because it does not
activate TV-out on its own to show the boot/init sequence).

Is this specific enough for you? Is there additional information you would
like to see (if yes, be specific)? I don't have prices at hand, but I think
this system could be built today for about $400. (I didn't pay for the
case, though, so that estimate might involve substituting a cheaper case.)