[mythtv-users] GeForce3 Ti500 & TV Wonder VE

Michael Greb mikegrb at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 14:50:35 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 13:22, ElectricianDrew at aol.com wrote:
> Here's my new plan for hardware configuration:
> Video card: NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti500 (64mb, AGP)
> Capture card: ATI TV Wonder VE (PCI)
> Remote: ATI Remote Wonder (USB)

I am using the TV Wonder VE.  The thing to watch for is the drivers
mis-recognize the card, they were trying to use a PROM that doesn't
exist.  This mis-recognition yielded sub-par results and the channels
were off by one digit.  I am very pleased with the video quality.  As
for the sound, it's mono.  I didn't realize it until on the way home.  I
probably would have still got it, just would have been nice to know in
advance.  I plan on getting another to accompany it.  The interesting
thing is the correct card name was displayed be dmesg but at any rate
this is what I added to modules.conf to fix it:

alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv card=1 autoload=0 radio=0
post-install bttv insmod tuner type=2

The card=1 and autoload=0 were the most important.  As for the NVIDIA
card, I went with the GeForce 4 MX 440 SE (PCI).  I needed a PCI card
with S-Video out and this was the cheapest /easily/ available card.  I
have been very pleased with NVIDIA's Linux drivers.  In addition, the
card will auto detect no monitor and output to the TV when it
initializes itself at boot up.  This means all the boot messages as well
as BIOS stuff is available without a monitor.  This may be a wide-spread
feature but this is the first time I have run into it and I was very
happy to see it.

As for the rest of your specs,  You exceed my 1.7ghz system with 256 mb
of RAM so I would think you will probably be all right.

--
Michael Greb <mikegrb at yahoo.com>