[mythtv-users] Cant load bttv module, ALSA module load problem

Michael Williams lists at arcanamm.com
Fri Jun 6 23:18:54 EDT 2003

Please help, im at my wits end here. I have been lurking for about a
week and have read hundreds of messages on here about people trials and
tribulations in getting Myth up and running. I am running RedHat 9, have
an ATI Tv Wonder VE and know it is card=64 and tuner=2.  My current
problem is I had the card working using xawtv at work where I was
configuring the box.  I initially had trouble loading the bttv module
with insmod, though I dont remember the error offhand.  A friend of mine
who is good with linux told me to use modprobe to load it, and lo and
behold it worked.  I used Xawtv to see that it worked.  When I tried to
use "Watch TV" in mythfrontend I got the same thing I did before I
actually installed the tuner card, the system locked up hard, had to
reset it.  I did some more searching in the list archives and found that
someone had the same problem and it was suggested that their problem was
the fact they didnt have ALSA installed, so I got the alsa-driv*,
alsa-lib* and alsa-util* and followed the instructions on the alsa site
for my sound board (onboard via-82c686 chipset), all the builds and make
installs worked great but when it came time to modprobe the modules, it
would load due to this error message:

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: unresolved symbol
schedule_work
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/sound/acore/snd.o: insmod snd-via82xx
failed

By now it was time to come home, so I just shut down the box and brought
it home.  Once i got it set up I booted it up and went to load bttv with
"modprobe bttv card=64 tuner=2" now i get this message:

/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: unresolved
symbol mod_firmware_load_R39e3dd23
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/media/video/bttv.o: insmod bttv
failed

I just tried again to load bttv, and it loaded just fine. I have no idea
why sometimes it will load and sometimes it wont.  Plus the ALSA thing
is killing me.

I have searched the list archives, the internet, the docs.  I have
downloaded a vanilla 2.4.20 kernel source tree and compiled it and
successfully gotten it to boot, but my nic doesnt work on it nor do any
of my modules load, none of them (lsmod shows no modules at all).  Its
like they dont even exist.  I boot back to this one and lsmod shows a
bunch of modules loaded.

If anyone here feels they can help me and if you want to initiate a
one-on-one please feel free to email me, im pulling my hair out here.
Take pity please. :)

Michael