[mythtv-users] I have a problem configuring my frontend box...

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jun 5 22:20:54 EDT 2003

John Klimek wrote:

>>I assume that you can connect to the database from the
>>backend machine. Make sure that the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>>file is correct on the x-box.
>

> I don't have a ~/.mythtv directory.  I do however have a
> /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file though.

That would be the one then. However, it might get overwritten
if you reinstall so you may want to consider creating a
.mythtv dir.

>>Most likely, your mysql
>>server is not listening for network connections. Edit
>>your /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to comment out the line
>>"skip-networking" (uncomment if you don't not want to
>>unsupress not having un-skip-network). Then restart the
>>mysql server and check to see that it is listening:
>

> On my backend (Mandrake 0.91), it doesn't have a /etc/mysql directory at
> all...

See, I knew you were going to say that ;-). You may want to
locate my.cnf for future reference but if it is listening
then this isn't and issue right now.

>>$ netstat -a | grep mysql
>>tcp        0      0 *:mysql        *:*             LISTEN
>>

> Using that command DOES give me those results.
>

>> From the x-box, you can verify that it will accept connections.
>>$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hyourhost mythconverg
>

> My X-Box doesn't seem to have the MySQL monitor (eg. the command 'mysql' is
> not found).

Problem. You need to install the mysql-client software.
I'm a Debian user so don't rake me for not knowing your
package name ;-).

>>If this works and the fields in the mysql.txt file match,
>>you should be golden.
>

> Is the DBPasswd encrypted in the mysql.txt file?

Nope. Plain text. Just like the mysql.txt file that works
on the master backend.

The file on the master may have the hostname 'localhost'.
Make sure that you use the real hostname in the mysql.txt
on the xbox. Also, you may need to grant access for mythtv
over the network.

$ mysql -u root mysql
mysql> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv@'%' IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;