[mythtv-users] I have a problem configuring my frontend box...

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Thu Jun 5 21:20:49 EDT 2003

John Klimek wrote:
> My frontend box is an xbox running debian, but I don't think that matters.
>
> I've compiled and installed MythTV v0.8.
>
> When I go to run "mythfrontend", I get two lines that I can't read (x-box
> text on the tv is pretty bad), but then I get a line clearly saying
> "couldn't open db".
>
> Isn't the database on my backend server?  What is causing this error?

I assume that you can connect to the database from the
backend machine. Make sure that the ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
file is correct on the x-box. Most likely, your mysql
server is not listening for network connections. Edit
your /etc/mysql/my.cnf file to comment out the line
"skip-networking" (uncomment if you don't not want to
unsupress not having un-skip-network). Then restart the
mysql server and check to see that it is listening:

$ netstat -a | grep mysql
tcp        0      0 *:mysql        *:*             LISTEN

 From the x-box, you can verify that it will accept connections.

$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -hyourhost mythconverg

If this works and the fields in the mysql.txt file match,
you should be golden.

--  bjm