[mythtv-users] Re: Do I need a tuner card with DirecTV?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 5 18:18:02 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Jun 5, Latka wrote:

> I'm a little green in the area of capture/tuner cards, and can't seem
> find a definitive answer to one question: If I'm using a satellite
> receiver
> (DirecTV RCA 420RD), do I actually need a TV tuner card or just a video
> capture card (I'm guessing that there are cards that simply captured an
> already "tuned" source)?

No, all you need is a v4l-compliant video input card. In your case,
you'd just need an s-video or RCA video input card, then use the
3rd-party changechannel program with an appropriate serial cable
connecting your MythTV box to your satellite receiver to have MythTV
change the channels for you (there are 2 connections from your MythTV
box to the receiver; one for control, one for video). Read here:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc11.3

> My sat receiver has both S-Video and composite (RCA) outs, so I'm
> guessing
> that a TV tuner in my (to-be-built)myth box would be useless, although
> would like a radio tuner.

The TV tuner would indeed be useless.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE