[mythtv-users] Do I need a tuner card with DirecTV?

Latka latka at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 5 20:28:22 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan" <bry-yahoogroups at bry.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 4:02 PM
Subject: RE: [mythtv-users] Do I need a tuner card with DirecTV?

> I'm new too, so maybe its already been answered.
>
> If I have a tuner, or a capture card, with DirecTV, I still need to have
> the DirecTV reciever set to the channel I want to record right?

Yes. (Unlike analog cable, where most channels aren't "scrambled", all
satellite channels are encrypted, for obvious reasons)

> OR is there some way that myth will change the channels to the appropriate
> ones while I'm away and record what I want.

You can control your receiver with your computer. The gossamer threads
interface has a great search function. Check out this recent thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=64465;search_string=Directv;guest=576902&t=search_engine#64465