[mythtv-users] Gyration Ultra Professional Optical Suite

Chris Huseman chris at huseman.net
Thu Jun 5 17:40:09 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:31:45PM -0500, Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
> Has anyone out there successfully used the Gyration Ultra Professional
> Optical Suite (RF keyboard and in-air mouse) on a Linux box?

I just bought the 'Ultra Cordless Optical Suite' (GP170-001).  It's only
$100 and has a 25ft range on the keyboard and mouse.  Your local
CompUSA or BestBuy will probably carry it.

> I've about had it with the (relatively) cheap IR keyboard I've got
> installed on my myth box and I'd really like to move up to an RF
> model. This combo from Gyration sounds great but it uses a USB dual
> receiver that comes with the unit. At ~$300 it is rather pricey so I'd
> rather not be the first one to have tried this :-)

They both work great if you've got HID support in your kernel.  I
already had my usb mouse/keyboard connected and just plugged the
Gyration receiver in and they both worked without any additional
configuration on my part.

I haven't really played with them enough for a proper review, but I am
very impressed with the product so far.

HTH,
-c

* note that I haven't tried this with MythTV yet, just with a Linux box
that has a Gnome desktop running on XFree86 4.3.0.