[mythtv-users] Streaming server, WAP addon to mythweb a possibility?

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 04:40:42 EDT 2003

I was wondering if anyone was working on a way to setup a streaming server
for mythweb? I heard some talk about it before, and I think it is a really
great idea especially since the nuv files are unplayable on windows
machines. If I was really skilled at the linux environment I would help out,
but I'm not sure where to start exactly. I'm not even sure if there is a
plugin yet for linux serve a compliant video stream as all I can think of is
WMV or something non proprietary. It would be nice to have the portability
of watching videos on other computers especially with just one click.

I also was wondering if anyone has attempted to create a WAP complaint
scaled down version of mythweb yet also for mobile phones? It would be
really nice to log in with a cell phone and see whats going on with myth, to
start and stop recordings, and simple things like that. I might look into
this to see if I can put something together, as it really shouldnt be that
hard since mythweb has been implemented already.

Also has anyone got a good encoder setup yet for myth to convert the nuv
files? I tried mythmkmovie but it pretty much locked up the computer for a
while and didnt output anything as far as I could tell.

I just updated my mythbox to a 2800XP+ 2200mhz (o/c from a 2400XP+) and I am
very pleased with the results. Before this I had a AMD 1.33 (~1500XP+)
processor running in it, which worked pretty well but since I have direcTV I
wanted very high quality. I can now watch live tv at 640x480 at 6/7mbps divx
with even some cpu power to spare. If anyone is interested I ran a test of
Divx bandwidth vs CPU usage on both chips and put them in an graphed excel
file available at: (http://www.netslayer.net/Mythtv/mythtv.xls).

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this project, it has really
become an impressive system! Even over the last month there have been some
awesome improvements like in mythvideo, I can't wait to see whats next!

*Ohya haven't checked if this has been fixed yet but in mythvideo once you
play any video, and return back it seams to loose focus. By this I mean I
will have to push alt tab for it to make the menu active so that I can use
the remote with it.

Till Next Time,
Chris