[mythtv-users] PVR250 + TVWonder = jerky

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:23:32 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 04 June 2003 08:56 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> It seem to help a little for local live but it absolutely
> kills remote playback over a 10Mb network. The problem is
> that the frontend makes several block requests while it is
> waiting for data to arrive. If there is a seek, all the
> blocks requested need to complete their transfer before
> the frontend can request new data from the new position.

Yeah -- I wasn't intending that to go into CVS as it was, just to see if it
helped the high bitrate rtjpeg stuff.  The only way I could reproduce any
jerkiness was to use rtjpeg at 640x480 @ quality 255, luma/chroma cutoffs at
0, and that patch fixed things up pretty much perfectly for that case.

A final version of the change would involve estimating the bitrate of the
rtjpeg stream and only double the blocksize like that if necessary.

> There probably needs to be a way for the backend to ignore
> impatient request and make sure there are never more than
> one or two pending block requests.

That should pretty easily taken care of..

Isaac