[mythtv-users] Re:How much software does MythTV need?

Brian Blalock bblalock at mtco.com
Wed Jun 4 19:06:19 EDT 2003

Ben Bucksch wrote:
>Brian Blalock wrote:
>
>>With a specific hardware configuration is is possible to fit all the
>software for a complete install of MythTV and all of its dependancies on one
>CD?
>>
>Yes.

Good.

>>A turnkey system where someone could just purchase the reccomended
>>hardware, and drop a downloaded CD in the drive to get a complete working
>>system would help non-gurus like myself who have can afford $300-$500 for a
>>basic system.
>
>Yes, it would. Do you want to make one?

Yes I do.  (Don't call me crazy yet, there's more where that came from.)  B^)

>Nobody else seems to, because
>it's an effort to create and maintain it. See for example the (running!)
>thread "Sell mythtv "set-top" boxes" for reasons.

I'm coming at this from a little different perspective than most of the
posters in that thread seem to be.

All I want to do is create a working MythTV system, document my hardware, and
then burn a backup CD with all of the important bits off my hard drive.

At that point anyone who can get the same (or very close) hardware can
download my ISO backup and restore it to thier blank box.

When new features come out all I need to do is upgrade my own box, (which I
would do anyway) create a new backup image, (which should be fairly simple)
and upload that to whatever server is hosting it.  (Finding a server for
these will probably be the hard part.)

I suspect this would be easier than creating/maintaining a formal
distribution.

With the oddball system that I will have at first (HP Kayak XU800) this won't
be helpful for very many folks, but if the people who are using "normal" off
the shelf hardware start doing this it could really help a lot of folks.

Well, is that as crazy as it sounds?