[mythtv-users] Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted hardware questions

William Preston bpreston at networkusa.net
Wed Jun 4 16:52:06 EDT 2003

> 2. Networking: The mini-itx case/mobo's I've looked at only have one PCI
> slot, which will probably be taken up by the capture card, so I'd be using
> the onboard lan to connect to an 802.11b/g converter. What transfer rate
> would I need if I wanted to go completely disklesss? (I'm trying to figure
> if it's feasable to store everything in one central place, and just boot
> this box, or even multiple boxes from that backend).

There's no G equipment that'll work under linux yet, so you'll have to
either use cabling now, or use a B card.  Once the spec is approved I'm sure
the other manufacturers will start putting their (more documented) hardware
out, and support will follow.

(Urm, unless you get one of two of those 'wireless bridges' and have them
communicate with each other, and then just connect a NIC to each of
those--but someone else will have to comment as to whether or not that'll
work.)