[mythtv-users] What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLY using Myth TV?

Pierre-Olivier Bouchard petecool at vl.videotron.ca
Wed Jun 4 10:43:51 EDT 2003

John Klimek wrote:

> Is Gentoo easy to use and setup?
>
> I'd probably like to the use the one that easiest to setup and use...
>
> Also, with an Athlon 750 MHz work ok for MythTV?

What TV card do you intend to use with that Athlon?

With a bttv card (ATI TV-Wonder, Hauppauge WinTV-GO, etc...), you won't
be able to get very good quality/resolution recordings with Mpeg-4
encoding, your CPU won't be able to keep up; I'm not sure how Rtjpeg
would turn out, though.

But, if you use a PVR-250 card (hardware encoding Tv-card), it'll be
good (maybe great? I don't use one yet), and the CPU will only really be
used when playing back something. It's a bit more work to setup, and
sometimes it still has a few little problems, though; but lots of people
use them without too much trouble, and seem happy with the card.

Pete