[mythtv-users] Working hard on black screens

Craig Longman craigl at begeek.com
Tue Jun 3 19:58:48 EDT 2003

Jesse Arnett wrote:

>On Tuesday 03 June 2003 02:53 pm, Craig Longman wrote:
>

>>Jesse Arnett wrote:
>>

>>>I also use a PVR 250, but i am using a p4 2.4GHz with 512MB of RAM.  The
>>>system does not appear busy when this happens, but maybe i'm just not
>>>looking in the right places.
>>>

>>have you also changed your bitrate/bitrate_peak in the ivtv driver?
>>
>Yes, I noticed a related thread on the dev list and tried some different
>bitrates.  Concensus seemed to be that 8000 kbps worked best.  It does seem
>better at higher bitrates, but it's still pretty noticeable.  The lower the
>bitrate the choppier things get overall.

hm, so you haven't changed it.  8Mbps/16Mbps seems to work best,
although i use 8/12 now and it seems to work fine, although the files
are hardly any smaller.

>Is there a bitrate setting you recommend?

just whatever works best!  i found 8 good.  its strange though, i'm
pretty sure its not a proc bottle neck, and the fact that you're on a
p4 at 2.4 (i'm on an athlon at 1) seems to confirm it.  perhaps the new code
issac had for syncing will improve things.  i should try out the files
in mplayer to seem what they do there, if i can pluck up the courage to
try and compile and install it.

cheers,

    CraigL->Thx();