[mythtv-users] quiet pc

Michael Libeskind mikelibes at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 22:34:04 EDT 2003

There was some earlier discussion about quiet cases.  I thought I would
share what I did:
I put one of these on my case fan to quiet it down.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2579

I mouted the chip to some protoboard and mounted the protoboard to the
heatsink in the power supply.  When the system is idle the fan is barely
moving.  When I am watching/recording at the same time the fan is probably
going about 75%.  The fan controller in combination with some dynamat and I
can barely hear my machine.

I'm a little worried about the chip sitting on the heat sink without the
exposed pad connected to anything.  To properly connect the chip I would
need to have some boards made up.  If there is interest in this group I
could have some fabricated offshore very inexpensively (< $5 each easily in
quantity)

Let me know what you guys think.