[mythtv-users] Advice

Jon jgregor at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 29 20:52:33 EDT 2003

Hey guys thanks for all the great answers.  I feel much more confident in
the direction I'm going, but of course with this wealth of new info I have
more questions.
First I've read further back into the archives and have noticed that many
people trying to use both an IR transmitter (read: blaster) and IR receiver
via serial ports is extremely difficult if not impossible to setup in lirc.
Now this was my plan of attack.  What i'm wondering is who has gotten this
to work, or who hasn't what I'm also wondering is what kind of setups you
guys without serial cables to your cable boxes have.  I don't really want to
use a wireless keyboard because I think that will be too complicated for my
fiance and too large for my coffee table.  Would it be easier to set up a
reciever and transmitter if I they werent' both serial?  I've heard mixed
messages on the hauppauge wintv pvr250 built in remote,  that the receiver
isn't very good and what not, can anyone elaborate on this a little more?
does it use the lirc_serial module?  Would it be easier if I had a
transmitter/reciever that didn't use the same lirc module?(lirc_serial)
I've seen schematics for a receiver that plugs into a sound jack, would that
be better, does that use lirc_serial?  Also the board i'll be using is a
Asus K7V, which has a built in IrDA port, is this something usable?  I found
this page http://tuxmobil.org/ir_misc.html that says its supported under
lirc using this dongle http://www.actisys.com/act210.html is this something
that anyone has experience with?  Would I be able to use this at all?
Thanks again for all your answers.
-Jon