[mythtv-users] Convert to standard MPG files

ElectricianDrew at aol.com ElectricianDrew at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 23:00:27 EDT 2003

Hello,
I'd like to take the .NUV files (myth's internal encoder is set to MPEG4
compression) and convert them to regular MPG's for viewing on a Windows box with
Windows Media Player 9. There's a lot of talk about this on the dev list but
I'm having trouble making sense of it all. I would like to know what options I
have as far as bitrate, etc. because I need to fit as much as possible on a 4.7
GB DVD. "VCD" quality might be OK but I'd like instructions for a few
different levels of quality so that I can play around with it.

Now, I'm not trying to make the DVD disc playable in a DVD player, I just
want MPG files on a DVD data disc that can be played in Windows Media Player.

So, this is what I need to know:
 - How to convert the NUV files - MPEG4 encoded - to a "standard" .mpg file
for viewing on Windows machines with WMP9.
 - Options I have for conversion, i.e., bitrate, compression, resolution,
whatever to experiment with
 - is there a way to view the .mpg files ... reading them off of the DVD
discs ... within the mythtv interface?
 - and of course a good DVD burning program to burn a DATA dvd disc (NOT dvd
video) under Linux

Thanks in advance!