[mythtv-users] Asus Pundit vs. Shuttle XPC SK41G

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Thu Jul 24 14:21:18 EDT 2003

>The pundit also only has one IDE channel, so unless
>you put in an ATA-66 optical drive (or ATA-100 if you can even find
>one), your hard drive will be stuck at ATA-33.

This is incorrect. In the past this may have been true, but for any modern
PC (including the Pundit) this is not the case.  Your HD may slow down
while you are *simultaneously* using the optical drive on the same IDE
channel, but when it's not in use the HD will support speeds up to its
specifications.

>Linux support isn't so
>great for the pundit, but then again, they have more features.
>Basically, you have to compile your own ethernet driver (they include
>linux code on the CD),

Didn't have to do anything funky to get it to work with Gentoo.  The
ethernet worked fine, right off of the bootable CD-ROM.    (Otherwise, I
probably wouldn't have been able to install the OS!).   I'm not sure how
other distros fare, though.

-WD