[mythtv-users] (off-topic) no sound with Biostar KT400 motherboard

Thorsten Scheuermann scheuerm at cs.unc.edu
Tue Jul 22 23:33:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

    I bought a Biostar M7VIT Pro (VIA KT400) motherboard for building a mythtv
box, but I can't get the on-board sound to work. I installed Redhat 9, which
loaded the via82cxxx_audio driver. I didn't get any sound with this and
mythtv would hang and only show a black screen when trying to watch tv. So I
followed the instructions on installing ALSA in the mythtv on Redhat 9 guide
at http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250
Alsa installed successfully on a 2.4.20-18.9 athlon kernel and the drivers
seem to load ok. I can run alsamixer and aumix and change mixer settings, but
whenever I try to play a sound file with aplay or mplayer, I hear no output.
However, with the ALSA driver, I can watch livetv in myth, but without sound
of course. I copied&pasted my modules.conf and .asoundrc below.
   Did anyone here have similar problems and managed to fix them? I'd
appreciate any advice on how to fix this.

-Thorsten Scheuermann

Contents of modules.conf:
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 usb-uhci
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias char-major-81 bttv
options bttv card=64 tuner=2
#alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
#post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null
2>&1 || :
#pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null
2>&1 || :

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx