[mythtv-users] mini-itx + video capture card vs 55 Watt PSU

Ben Levitt levittben at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 15:20:09 EDT 2003

I've seen some postings from people saying that 55
Watt power supplies are not strong enough to drive a
mini-itx board, optical drive, hard drive, and a video
capture card.

This makes me sad, because I'm hoping to put a system
together based on one of these two silent computers:
   Tranquil PC -
http://mini-itx.com/store/tranquilpc.asp
   Hush - http://mini-itx.com/store/hush.asp

Both seem to come with just a 55 Watt power supply.
If you have experience trying to get a system running
as a full MythTV Box on a similar rig, please do tell!

For video capture, I'm open to suggestions, but I
really like the looks of the WinTV PVR 350 in part
because I want to be able to record radio as well.

Also, I found these power supply parts that look more
promising, if they are easy to swap into the slick
little custom boxes I'm looking at...
   UN802 - http://www.bytechinc.com/un80x.htm
   FSP090-1ADC21 -
http://www.bytechinc.com/adapter.htm

Do you think swapping out the power supply inside one
of these boxes would be:
 A) doable?
 B) an impossible project?
 C) a good way to invalidate a warranty and destroy a
pricey little computer?
 D) not an issue because 55 Watts is plenty?

Thanks,

Ben