[mythtv-users] converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac

Leo Laksmana beol at laksmana.net
Tue Jul 22 13:46:17 EDT 2003

See my comments inline...

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:20:54PM -0700, Joshua Santelli wrote:

> > Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on
> > the Mac). I'm
> > guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported
> > by QuickTime.
>
> I'll look into vlc and give it a shot.  Quicktime does
> throw an error about the codec but I wasn't sure what
> codec this avi used and what I can use.  Getting this
> into iMove (or another video editing program) is the
> main concern.

You may want to try installing the divx codec (downloadable from
divx.com) and install in on your Mac. I believe the mencoder produce avi
file which is MPEG4 by divx. Also you may want to try use the Quicktime
pro to do the export the file to dv streams (I haven't try this out),
but theoretically with installed divx codec you can do this.

> > I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the
> > deal, rather than an
> > avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an
> > avi file to
> > something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using
> > Cleaner (but it ain't free :).
>
> Anyone know how I would do that (get this into a
> "standard" mpeg4)?  I'm up for any format as long as I
> can get iMove to import the file and then let me edit
> it.

MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
implemented by nuppel.