[mythtv-users] trying to watch TV via mythtvfrontend produces blank screen

Akos Maroy darkeye at tyrell.hu
Sun Jul 20 21:06:10 EDT 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:
>  From the information you posted, I still cannot be certain what your
> problem is. OTOH, there are people here who are vastly more expert in

well, I stated this quite clearly: my problem is, that if I chose the
'watch TV' option in mythfronnted, I get a black screen (and audio of
some TV channel)

> the CVS version of mMyth than I am, and now perhaps one of them will be
> able to suggest something helpful. (Some of the error messages you are

good to hear

> With that little space left, you are probably into the area reserved for
> root, making it difficult for any app that runs under a non-root userid
> to create files. Since Myth needs to create rather large files ... video

not true so. I use the system normally as a regular (non-root) user.

> is anywhere between 500 MB and 2 GB per hour, depending on which
> encoding you use ... Myth **may** simply be telling you (admittedly a
> bit inelegantly) that it is failing to create the buffer file needed to
> watch "live" TV.

still, in this circumstance, it would create these files and then make
them grow. one would experience an out-of-space problem after a while,
when (reguler user) space really runs out.

> Someone else more expert than I should really help you at this point,
> though, now that your trouble report is a bit more detailed than your
> original query.

thanks for your help so far as well!

Akos