[mythtv-users] mplayer and "test_ioctl" settings

Russ Southern russ.southern at cox.net
Sat Jul 19 14:03:08 EDT 2003

To all the developers and helpful folks out there, please accept kudos on an
excellent job with MythTV.  As a brand-new-to-Myth user, I have a few
questions.

I've now read a few posts referencing rows in the settings table that I
don't have.  One post mentioned a missing "hue" entry, another recently
mentioned the "mplayer" setting to control playback options.

Having started at Myth version 0.10, I don't have any of these settings.

So, my first question is, "Where can I find a list of all possible settings
entries?"  In a few minutes lurking through source code I only found one
select statement, so I am obviously missing something.  Prior versions'
settings.txt files do not seem to have as many options as are available now.

If this information is available somewhere other than in the docs, I'll
certainly be willing to submit a patch to get it there.

Second questions: Having yet to try just blindly adding rows to the settings
table to "see what happens," I'd like to confirm...  How can I configure my
capture cards (Hauppauge 250) before recording (like a script to run
test_ioctl or something)?  How can I playback with the equivalent to
"mplayer -saturation -28"?  I'd also like to tweak brightness, contrast,
hue, etc. at capture time.

I know there have been a few posts recently about issues such as this, but
they have assumed knowledge I do not, as yet, have.

Could someone please go about two steps back in the a priori knowledge base
and explain available input and output configurations, and where they are
applied (for example, if I add a "hue" entry, does that affect the capture
or the playback)?

Thank you,

Russ