[mythtv-users] btaudio analog but no digital

Tom Panning tpanning at vt.edu
Fri Jul 18 22:38:13 EDT 2003

On Friday July 18 2003 9:08 pm, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2003 08:31 pm, Tom Panning wrote:
> > I've loaded btaudio and I have everything working with mythtv (recording
> > and playback work), except certain channels have really weird sound. They
> > all sound like they've been run through a really bad synthesizer or
> > something. I think it's because I'm using btaudio's analog dsp (/dev/dsp3
> > on my machine). I've tried using the digital dsp (which it seems a lot of
> > people on the list use), but nothing comes out of it. In fact, when I
> > just run 'cat /dev/dsp2' nothing happens, but if I do the samething with
> > dsp3 I get constant output. I've double-checked, and I definitely have
> > read and write access to both /dev/dsp2 and /dev/dsp3. Here's btaudio's
> > messages:
>
> Make sure you're trying to use the digital dsp at 32khz, stereo.

I've tried:
$ sox -r 32000 -c 2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
and
$ sox -r 32000 -c 1 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
and
$ sox -r 32000 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp2 -t ossdsp /dev/dsp
 but nothing happens with any of them (I've also tried all of these on dsp3 to
see if I can use the analog audio, but it doesn't fix the weird sound). Like
I said, the thing that really has me confused is that:
$ cat /dev/dsp2
Just sits there. The device definitely exists (when I try that before loading
btaudio, it says that the device doesn't exist), but there's nothing coming
out of it. I tried writing to dsp2, but that fails with "Device or resource
busy", so it's not some kind of weird input.

Is there any more direct way to see what's supposed to be coming out of dsp2?

Tom